Here are some of the most notable adaptations announced in October 2022.
- Cult icon John Waters will write/direct an adaptation of his novel Liarmouth: A Feel-Bad Romance for Village Roadshow. The novel was published by Farrar, Straus & Giroux last May.
- Temple Hill Productions has tapped Carter Blanchard to script the adaptation of Adam Cesare’s novel Clown in a Cornfield. Eli Craig will direct. HarperTeen published in August 2020.
- Myroslav Slaboshpytskyi will write and direct the adaptation of journalist Peter Pomerantsev’s “We Can Only Be Enemies” for AC Studios and AR Content. The article was originally published in The Atlantic in May of this year.
- Louverture Films, Plan B Entertainment, and AC Studios have picked up Colson Whitehead’s The Nickel Boys. RaMell Ross will direct and co-write alongside Joslyn Barnes. The novel was originally published by Doubleday in July 2019.
- Lonetree Entertainment has acquired the rights to Hailey Piper’s supernatural horror novel A Light Most Hateful. Titan Books is set to publish the book.
- Anonymous Cat has acquired John Ajvide Lindqvist’s novel I Am Behind You, which riverrun published in September 2017.
- Scott Free Productions has optioned Tracy Sierra’s debut horror novel The Corner.
- SF Studios has acquired Johan Rundberg’s middle-grade novel series Moonwind & Hoff, the first of which (The Queen of Thieves) Natur & Kultur published last year.
- Universal Pictures, Platinum Dunes, Ground Control, and Fifty-Fifty Films have acquired Marcus Kliewer’s short story “The Caretaker” and Karl Gajdusek will write the script. Sydney Sweeney will produce and possibly star.
- 3000 Pictures and Temple Hill Productions will produce an adaptation of People We Meet on Vacation, written by Emily Henry. Yulin Kuang will write the script, and Brett Haley is attached to direct. The novel was first published in 2021 by Berkley Books.
- Ryan O’Connell will write/direct an adaptation of his novel Just by Looking at Him for Berlanti Schecter Productions and FilmNation Entertainment. O’Connell will also costar alongside Jim Parsons. Atria Books published the novel last June.
- Raw Truth Entertainment has optioned Kalani Pickhart’s novel I Will Die in a Foreign Land, which Two Dollar Radio published last year.
- Bisous Pictures and Media Rights Capital acquired the rights to Ali Hazelwood’s novel The Love Hypothesis, published by Berkley in September 2021.
- Tommy Dorfman will write/direct an adaptation of Mason Deaver’s I Wish You All the Best for ACE Entertainment and The Tea Shop & Film Company. The YA novel was originally published in May 2019 by Push.
Additional script sales can be found here on Script Pipeline.