Here are some of the most notable adaptations announced in October 2020:
– John Ridley will write and direct a paranormal thriller film based on Saleah Blancaflor’s article “Project Poltergeist” for Blumhouse Productions and Truly*Adventurous. Truly*Adventurous published the article in May 2020.
– Mark Bomback will script the adaptation of R.J. Palacio’s White Bird: A Wonder Story for Lionsgate and Mandeville Films. Marc Forster will direct. Alfred A. Knopf published the graphic novel in October 2020.
– Catya McMullen’s Broadway play Georgia Mertching Is Dead is getting a movie adaptation from Star Thrower Entertainment. McMullen will script, and Andrea Savage will direct.
– Jayson Rothwell will adapt Horace Greasley’s WWII memoir Do the Birds Still Sing in Hell? (written with Ken Scott) for Monarch Media. John Blake published in September 2013.
– Over at BBC Films, Courttia Newland will adapt Augustown, written by Kei Miller. The novel was published in 2016 by Pantheon Books.
– Cavalry Media has optioned Morgan Housel’s short story collection The Psychology of Money. Harriman House published in September 2020.
– Screen Gems and Thunder Road Pictures are adapting the 2016 German film Text for You, which was originally based on the novel written by Sofie Cramer. Lauryn Kahn will script the adaptation. Sam Heughan, Priyanka Chopra Jonas, and Celine Dion will star, and Dion will also provide music. Jim Strousew will direct. The novel, SMS für rich, was first published by Pattloch in 2001.
– ACE Entertainment has tapped Katie Lovejoy to adapt Jennifer E. Smit’s YA novel The Statistical Probability of Love at First Sight. Haley Lu Richardson will executive produce and star. Poppy published in 2012.
– Project X Entertainment has optioned Mia Sosa’s novel The Most Best Man, which Avon Books published in February 2020.
– Endeavor Content, 51 Entertainment, and Made Up Stories optioned Jennifer Donnelly’s Poisoned, a fresh take on Snow White. Scholastic Press published the YA novel last month.
– Daniel Clowes and Justin Lader will adapt Clowes’s graphic novel Patience for Focus Features and Innisfree Pictures. Charlie McDowell will direct. Patience was originally published by Fantagraphics in 2016.
– George Clooney will direct an adaptation of John Grisham’s Calico Joe for Smokehouse Pictures, Grey Water Park Productions, and ZQ Entertainment. Doubleday published the novel in 2012.
– Hillman Grad Productions and Sight Unseen Pictures have tapped David Matthews to adapt Sammy Davis Jr.: My Father, written by Tracey Davis and Dolores A. Barclay. Lena Waithe will produce and direct. The book was published in 1996 by General Pub Group.
– Tom Stoppard is adapting Stephen Walker’s nonfiction book Shockwave: Countdown to Hiroshima for Universal Pictures and Working Title Films. Cary Fukunaga will direct. Harper Perennial published in 2006.
Additional script sales can be found here on Script Pipeline.