Here are some of the most notable adaptations announced in April 2022.
- Blake Lively will make her directorial debut with an adaptation of Bryan Lee O’Malley’s Seconds. Searchlight Pictures and Marc Platt Productions will produce alongside Edgar Wright, who will also provide the script. Ballantine Books published the graphic novel in 2014.
- Writers John College and Edward Bond will adapt Homer’s Odyssey for Red Wave Films and Picomedia. Uberto Pasolini will produce and direct, and Juliette Binoche and Ralph Fiennes are attached to star.
- The Imaginarium and Wildgaze Films will adapt Elizabeth McCracken’s The Giant’s House. Nick Hornby will write the script, and Andy Serkis will direct. The Dial Press published the novel in 1996.
- Arcana Studios and MastersFX are working on an adaptation of the graphic novel American Wasteland from creator R.D. Hall and artists Andrew Mangum and Mark Kidwell. Arcane also published the book in 2011.
- Scott Free (Ridley Scott) and Versus Entertainment will Camila Russo’s novel Infinite Machine. Writer/director Shyam Madiraju will helm the project. Harper Business published the book in July 2020.
- New Regency and RT/Features have tapped writer/director Michael Sarnoski to adapt Nick Drnaso’s graphic novel Sabrina, published by Drawn & Quarterly in May 2018.
- Southern Fried Filmworks have optioned Sheila Bridges’ memoir The Bald Mermaid, which Pointed Leaf Press published in 2013.
- Searchlight Pictures, DeMilo Productions, Jellywolf, and Delirio Films have scooped up the rights to Walter Tevis’ 1980 novel Mockingbird. Alma Har’el will produce and direct. The novel was originally published by Doubleday.
- Hirsch Giovanni Entertainment has tapped writer Christopher Adams to adapt Fritz Peters’ 1951 novel Finistère for film. The novel was first published by Arsenal Pulp Press.
- Paramount Pictures and Goddard Textiles (Drew Goddard) are moving forward with Nevermoor, based on the novel by Jessica Townsend. Goddard will also write. Michael Gracey is attached to direct and provide music for the film (it’ll be a musical). The first novel in the series, Nevermoor: The Trials of Morrigan Crow, was first published in October 2017 by Hachette Australia.
- Permut Presentations has tapped writer/direct Sam Hobkinson to adapt The Devil’s Cinema: The Untold Story Behind Mark Twitchell’s Kill Room. The book, written by Steve Lillbuen, was published in 2012 by McClelland & Stewart.
- Strong Studios will adapt author Norman Miller’s The Great Salad Oil Swindle, now with the title The Tank Job. Alan Sokolow will write and direct. Coward McCann published in 1965.
- Village Roadshow is adapting Charles Beaumont’s short story “Fritzchen”. Michael Voyer will write the script, and Joko Anwar will direct. The magazine Orbit Science Fiction published the short in 1953.
- Scott Free Productions and Truenorth have optioned Ragnar Jónasson’s novel Outside. Henrik Hansen to potentially direct. The novel will be released in the U.S. in June.
- Writer Laura Kosann will adapt Mercy Sparx for MGM, The Picture Company, and Assemble Media. The comic book was created by Josh Blaylock and published by Devil’s Due Publishing.
Additional script sales can be found here on Script Pipeline.