2017 Book Pipeline Competition
Early Deadline: August 15th, 2017
Entry Fee: $55
The 4th Annual Book Pipeline Competition is searching for authors with material appropriate for film or television adaptation. The winning writer receives $10,000 and circulation to Lakeshore Entertainment (Million Dollar Baby, American Pastoral), QC Entertainment (Get Out, Pride and Prejudice and Zombies), Good Fear Film + Management (Rings, Polaroid), and other top production companies, managers, and agencies best-suited for developing the selected projects.
Continuing to build upon the success of the Script Pipeline writing competitions, which have discovered hundreds of new writers over the past 17 years, Book Pipeline aims to deliver unique, compelling stories to the industry–with the specific intent of getting them on the fast-track to film and television production. The contest is open to all genres, and both new and established writers may enter.
Acceptable entries include:
- Graphic Novels and comics
- Book proposals or pitches (fiction or non-fiction)
- Short stories
Process and Requirements:
– For novels, novellas, and other full-length books: approximately the first 5,000 words + full synopsis (1-3 pages)
– For plays, graphic novels, proposals, and short stories: the complete manuscript + full synopsis (1-3 pages)
*Materials may be uploaded during registration, OR sent as an attachment to email@example.com afterward. Registrants will receive a confirmation email with further info and instructions.
Criteria & Review: All entries are judged on the basis of concept originality, writing ability, and the property’s viability as a film or television series in the current marketplace. Judges consist of Book Pipeline and Script Pipeline senior executives.
Feedback: Every entrant will receive general feedback on their submission, specifically on the material’s adaptation potential. Comments are sent direct via email after final judging is completed in March 2018.
– Material may be published or unpublished; if published, the film AND television rights must be available.
– Book Pipeline does not take a percentage of any future option or sale of your work, and all rights remain with the author, regardless of their final placement in the competition.
– Any genre accepted, including children’s books and projects intended for animation.
– Supplemental materials (illustrations, character bios, etc.) are optional.
For additional questions, email our contest coordinator.
Early: August 15th – $55
Regular: November 1st – $65
Semifinalists Announced: Mid-February 2018
Winner Announced: Early March 2018
Grand Prize Winner
– Immediate and long-term circulation to top companies in the Book Pipeline and Script Pipeline network (see list below for companies receiving first look at the winner)
– Development assistance from Book Pipeline execs to help adapt the material into a screenplay, TV pilot, or pitch
– Additional review of other material for potential industry circulation
– Editorial write-up from Book Pipeline covering the winning submission
Finalists (2-8) and Winner
– Immediate and long-term circulation to top production companies and execs in the Book Pipeline and Script Pipeline network
– Additional review of other material and potential for industry circulation
– Editorial write-up from Script Pipeline covering the material
– Consideration for industry circulation and personal development assistance from Script Pipeline executives
The following are Book Pipeline partners receiving first look at the winner and finalists. Follow the link to see recent credits and learn more about the company.
Lakeshore Entertainment (Age of Adaline, Million Dollar Baby, Underworld)
QC Entertainment (Get Out, Pride and Prejudice and Zombies)
Good Fear Film + Management (Rings, Polaroid)
Madhouse Entertainment (The Ark, Prisoners)
Finalists and semifinalists also receive personalized circulation to Script Pipeline’s industry network of over 200 producers and agencies, with long-term, ongoing assistance for the winner and finalists.